Learn English in a school in Ireland, Live with a host family
An academic semester, or year in Ireland, provides students with an invaluable opportunity for personal development, increasing cultural knowledge and awareness, and gaining confidence in spoken and written English.
Secondary School Students age 12-18
The School Programme is open to students aged 12-18 years who wish to learn English in Ireland. The programme is available at a wide variety of schools throughout the country. The Irish educational system offers a broad range of academic subjects, and the atmosphere in our chosen schools is caring and supportive. All students are placed with host families near the chosen school in many different locations throughout Ireland.
We endeavor to enroll only one student of a nationality per class.
We only allocate one student per host family so as to provide each student with a real Irish Experience.
Secondary School Students – Term Options
What does the programme consist of?
- On arrival, orientation which covers programme issues, cultural introduction to life in Ireland, living in a host family, culture shock and problem solving within 10-14 days of arrival in the host community.
- Full board and lodging with a host family for the duration of the academic semester or year. (Excluding Christmas Holidays). All families are personally chosen by the SPIL team and are selected on the basis of their interest in educational exchange and their ability to provide a positive home environment. Host families in Ireland receive a non-commercial hospitality allowance.
- Each student will have at his/her disposal his/her own bedroom in the Host Family which will also be furnished with a desk for study purposes.
- Enrolment in secondary and primary schools
- Locker fees and school insurance
- School books and school uniform (excluding school shoes, outer coat and school jacket)
- Bus tickets for travel to and from school
- Airport collection and return on arrival, departure and at Christmas Holidays
- Supervision by local coordinators who deal with any issues between host family student and/or school
- All administration services relating to student/host family and school
- 24/7 emergency number and Coordination Services.
Please note programme does not cover the following:
- Student personal insurance
- Pocket money
- Personal items such as toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant etc
- Telephone calls by students or internet use
- Any day trips outside of school times or any optional school trips
- Transition Year Fees
- Airport transfers if student opts to go home during Mid Term or Easter time